Sunday, April 10, 2011

List Number Two - Flexibility

So, I've been trying to adapt a few new concepts into my swarm, namely Multiple Small Units and the flexibility to deploy a least partially on the table. By  MSU, I mean small, cheap units that can engage armor, still fight in assault, and that won't be missed if they're killed in a barrage of bolter and flamer shots. In this case, the  Genestealers, Termagants, and, Lictors. The flexibility is provided by the walking Tyrant and Tervigon - they can either be reserved to snap up midfield and deployment zone objectives, or deployed normally in cover/behind LOS blocking terrain if available.

HQ:

Tyrant w/ Leech Essence, Paroxysm, Armored Shell, Hive Commander, TL BL devourers, heavy venom cannon

Elites:

2 Lictors

2 Lictors

2 Zoanthropes in Mycetic Spore w/ TL deathspitters

Troops:

5 Genestealers w/ toxin sacs in Mycetic spore

5 Genestealers w/ toxin sacs in Mycetic spore

10 Termagants w/ devourers in Mycetic spore 

Tervigon w/ Dominion, Stinger Salvo, Catalyst

Heavy Support:

Trygon Prime

Carnifex w/ TL BL devourers x2 in Mycetic spore w/ TL deathspitters 

Should come to 1750 even. I switched up the points because that seems to be the minimum I'm playing lately, and should be relatively easy to add or subtract from. On to the actual use.  First off there are multiple units that can appear more or less at will. I've taken the Lictors because, in addition to their ability to get in close, breach armor, and fight,  if I'm reading the rules for Warp Quake correctly, they're one of the few things that can get close to Grey Knights, and can help prevent other units from scattering into the 12" mishap zone..

The same concern applies to the larger units. The four MCs are designed to function as a hammer/anvil combo. The Tyrant and Tervigon serve as midfield objective holders and ranged threat, while the Carnifex and Trygon can get into my opponent's face quickly and lay down midstrength shots, hopefully supporting the smaller assault units.  Overall this preserves my ability to project units deep into my opponent's backfield while providing an anchor that can snap up objectives, offer supporting fire, and hopefully fight off whatever manages to punch through my more forward units.

Any thoughts or improvements, either concept-wise or unit composition? It's tempting to swap out a unit of Lictors for Hive Guard, but I'm not sold on their utility; they'd probably do alright when I deployed normally, but if I reserved them along with everything else their range would never get beyond midfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment