Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Tervigon...

So there seems to be a lot of angst hitting the blogosphere now that everyone's had a chance to look at the new Tervigon kit and realize just how big it is and how hard it will be to layer cover around it. Whatever one thinks about the actual kit, from a competitive play perspective, this is another kick in the teeth to a codex that has already taken too many.

It's time to let it go, people. Layering cover was always imprecise at best, and most of us have seen the limits of that style of army in any event. Tyranid armies have gotten ever more gimmicky and contorted trying to keep up with later releases, and while losing one of those gimmicks hurts, it wasn't going to save us anyway. Yes it hurts, but this doesn't really change the playing field we had to work with.

And finally, while I get that everyone put a lot of time and effort into conversions... did you seriously not think that these wouldn't be on a Trygon sized base considering the profiles relative to our 4 Wound MCs?

3 comments:

  1. The issues getting a Trygon sized base was the deciding factor for me.

    I am tempted now to run Screamer Killer carnifexen in mycetic spores, either 2 with Trygon Prime or 3 Screamers. Termagants will become Devourer gants, dropping in a pod, or dropped for more genestealers. I am thinking with this list, but I don't have my codex on me, so I don't know the points.

    HQ
    Hive Tyrant w/ wings, 2x Devourers, Hive Commander
    Tyranid Prime w/ Dual Boneswords, Regen

    Elites
    6-8 Y-Stealers or Deathleaper for LOLs
    2 Zoans in a Spore
    2 Zoans in a Spore

    Troops
    5-9 Stealers w/ Broodlord
    5-9 Stelaer w/ Broodlord
    5-9 Stealers w/ Broodlord
    20 Devourer Gaunts in a spore
    20 Devourer Gaunts in a spore
    3-5 Warriors w/ Devourer/ScyTals (Outflank with Hive Commander)

    Fast Attack
    Spore Mines out the whazoo

    Heavy
    Carnifex w/ 2 ScyTals and Bioplasma in a Spore
    Carnifex w/ 2 ScyTals and Bioplasma in a Spore
    Trygon Prime

    The list would bleed kill points, probably not competitive worthy. I've never played anything like it, but it seems fun to me and fluffy. Warriors should probably be dropped, but I like the models. Also, it really chaps my rear-end that Primes can't join units in Spores.

    What base should a Mycetic Spore be on? 60mm? An old music CD? The benefit of this list is that I don't have to buy anything, just Tyranidize some Easter Eggs for spores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assuming you're shooting for a 2K list you'll probably have to cut two units depending on number and upgrades - you've got over 1k in HQ and Heavy Support, and each of your 9 other entries will run about 150 points, give or take. Otherwise it looks good.

    For spores, I've just used standard MC bases, 3 extra Carnifex backplates for the "walls", and extra MC scything talons to give the model some extra height.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I will look at my codex later and see the costs. Cut the warriors and Prime? 2000 is the target.

    ReplyDelete